Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Social Discrimination





Wow. I just read an article on Facebook by the site The Mighty, a site to inform and empower those of us with disabilities. The article I read stated that the government now wants to look at our social media pages as a way to determine whether we are “disabled enough”. This is horrifying.
As I read this article, I began to think about what I post on social media. I post pictures of myself taking part in races with my handcycle. I love using my handcycle. It keeps me physically and socially active. It also gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride, which everyone likes to feel. Am I going to have to stop posting these pictures for fear of losing my disability benefits?
I agree that the government needs to monitor who gets Social Security Disability, but as a person with a disability, I find this proposal very invasive. Just because we are disabled doesn’t mean we have to stop living. By looking at my social media page, it looks like I am quite active and have fun, which is true. However, what my social media page does NOT show is now badly I hurt after physically exerting myself. The reason I do this to myself is to keep myself active in all ways so that I don’t become completely isolated from the world around me.
A couple years ago, I was sent several packets of questions by Social Security asking me question about my functionality. One of the questions wanted me to explain what I do from the time I get up to the time I go to bed! This varies from day to do depending on how I feel and what I have planned for that day, (just like everyone else.} What this question didn’t take into consideration was whether I woke up hurting, whether I might be nursing a pressure wound from simply walking too much one day or the fact that I am mentally drained from someone having to explain something to me yet again because of my learning disability.
I have talked to and become friends with people on Facebook who have similar disabilities to mine, and others who have disabilities different from mine. We all have different abilities and disabilities. This applies to non-disabled people as well. Don’t judge us on what you see on our social media pages. Get to know us and what we go through on a day to day basis before you judge what we are and are not capable of.
As for me, I am only able to stand for about 20 minutes, while hanging on to something, because my balance is off and my muscles start to ache. If I overdo it, my back KILLS ME by the time I am able to sit and relax. This pain can last anywhere from a half an hour to days depending on how much I over exerted myself. Being on disability enables me to do what I need to do and have the ability to take care of myself.
Judging people on the basis of what they see on social media is discriminatory. Not all disabilities are visible and should not be judged as such.
Has anyone else heard about this? Have you experienced this kind of thing yet? Let’s share any information we come across on this subject so we can fight this discrimination!
This is a blatant form of discrimination and it needs to be addressed. I would like to encourage everyone, including individuals with disabilities, their caregivers, even their case workers to contact your state and/or federal government representative to voice your concerns on this subject. Below you will find a link to the article I got my information from and also a link to find your states representatives.




1 comment:

  1. So very true; I know people who are quite 'nornal' one day and can do absolutely nothing the next day due to a flair up on their symptoms.
    Don't judge

    ReplyDelete